Tuesday, March 9, 2010

SUP's

So, I got this good friend of mine, all around good guy. I could always count on him for a DawnPatrol. I mean, I would say " Be at my house at 4;30am" and he would be walking up my alley at 4:25am. Just a good dude. We meet paddleboarding, and have been good friends ever since, even found out his wife and I are semi related. (Story for another post)

Well, a few years back he gets Glaucoma in one of his eyes. Tries some medication for awhile, but that did not work to well . So he needed to have surgery to fix it before it got worse. If it did get worse, he would be blind in that eye. Well, the down side to the surgery is he could no longer surf!..... Just take a second and ponder that.......You could NO LONGER SURF!

Some of you might call B.S. Well the thing with the surgery is, they have to put something similar to a valve in your eye to relieve the pressure. Only problem is, stuff could get in it, and your eye could get infected. Hence the no Surfing. Since we all know how clean the water is in Southern California.

What would you do?

He loves the ocean, loves to surf and paddleboard. So he gets into SUP'ing. Yes, Oarons, Ocean Sweepers, Janitors, etc....But, I cut him some slack, and I am stoked he is back doing something on the the water. He is not out in the lineups, doesn't want to risk infections. He just wants to be in the ocean, Or, in his case, on the ocean!

I guess all I am Saying is .............that SUPS are ok for the right people!

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I have a friend who's had a neck fusion, so lying prone and looking up is difficult. In fact, at this point in his recovery, he's forbidden to do it. At least on an SUP, he can still be in the water. That's more important than all of us slinging mud just because it's an SUP.

    In other words, I second that emotion.

    ReplyDelete