Saturday, February 26, 2011

Passings....... Shasta 7/28/1998 - 2/26/2011

I lost my best friend today!

My beloved Rhodesian Ridgeback, “Shasta”, left me this morning, she was 12.

I knew this day would come, but you are never truly ready for it. I wanted to be able have it happen at my house, when the time was right. I did not want to have to go to the Vet’s office to put her to sleep. However, that did not happen. I was able to have the strength to be there, and hold her head in my lap as she took her final breath.

My office will be a little empty and strange for a while. I use to be able to look over my laptop at the couch to see her asleep with her head on a pillow.

Shasta was my “starter child”. She prepared me to be a father. What is it about the bond you have with a dog? She was more then a dog, she was part of me. How many times did I wake up and find her asleep between me and my wife with her head on the pillow?

I could walk out the front door, go around the alley and come in the back and she would be all excited to see me, like I have been gone for a week.

Where else can you get that kind of love and admiration?

Rest in Peace Shasta…….
7-28-1998 – 2-26-2011











4 comments:

  1. Oh man, that is so brutal. I am terribly sorry to read this. She looked like a darn fine dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beauty she was! I love our dog as if he is my child, I think. My son thinks of him as the brother he doesn't, and will never, have. Dogs are wonderful. Shasta was lucky to have you . . . and vice versa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the Kind words. Dogs are family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly a sad day for you I know C-Dub! Shasta was a great dog and the bond you had will never ever wane. You may have lost your best friend but you both gave each other memories that will last a lifetime so cherish those happier thoughts and know she is in a better place now.

    ReplyDelete