Sunday, October 9, 2011

Things Change..





Things change…

How true that is. I have not done a post in awhile, because I did not have much to say. Summer ended, and school started for my son. Things got back to a routine. I did my annual guys Trip, we call it TresFest, but now we go to San Elijo, so we call it San Elijo Fest. The surf was good, but I got sick right before it started, so for 3 days I was a walking zombie at the camp, all wacked out on antibiotics and Codeine.




So, fast forward. I was telling my son we should try surfing at Blackies in Newport. It’s a great spot I said, real fun you would like it, best of all, when we are done, we can get Hot Chocolate and Donuts! We can meet VR and his son too, what do you think? “Sure Dad sounds good.”(Bingo!)

So today we get up and head down there, and we could not have had better weather. A classic California Fall day, sunny, no wind, warm, just a great beach day. We get there and wait for VR and his son, watch the waves and the surfers. When I say surfers, I do mean ALL of them, the place was packed! I notice all kinds of kids with dads pushing them into the water, some kids on their own, old guys, young guys, girls, newbie’s, and kooks. But what I like best was the vibe, just all about fun.

Cole and Michael surfed, got off there boards and jumped in the waves, played and had a good time. He only surfed about twenty minutes, but then he was in the water playing too. To me it was all good; it all creates his awareness of the ocean, an understanding of waves and how they break. It all will add up to his surfing knowledge latter.

We got our donuts and hot chocolate, walked out on the pier to see what people were catching, and looked out at some fun waves on the south side.

He and Michael both asked me and VR, “Can we surf on the other side of the pier right now?”

Yes, things are beginning to change…….




2 comments:

  1. I have been sick too. Today officially 4 weeks. =(
    Just finished my antibiotics have one more steroid to take and still on an inhaler. Bronchitis border pneumonia. YA me.
    So yes something is going around.
    Blackies is my home break. IT IS ALWAYS crowded on weekends, especially if weather is good and ALWAYS if surf is good. Sometimes it is just not worth going. The vibe is usually good, but there are days when you get the not so nice folks..and ironically they are usually not the locals putting out those vibes. Which I find odd. Any way It is a great beginner spot. Great to bring the kids. THAT is where I learned. ;-)Hope your son keeps the stoke with you..It is a magical thing to surf with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. You just had to let him come to it when he felt like it. And obviously, he's feeling it!

    ReplyDelete