Saturday, May 28, 2011

Influences Part II





So, I was out cruising yard sales this morning, and as I was driving up a street I saw the “Master of Disaster” himself, Mr. Duane Peters parking his van. Who knew that DP lived about a mile from my house?
Now, some of you that read my blog will recall one of my past posts “Influences” (click for a link to it). In that post I talked about a certain photo of DP, and how it meant something to me as a young kid who loved punk rock and skateboarding, back in the day.

I always wanted to meet DP, and hopefully get him to sign that picture. So here he was, I really didn’t want to come across as some kind of 45 year old groupie geek, but how often do you get a chance to meet someone that had an influence on you as a kid? I pulled over, said hi, told him about the picture and my previous post and asked him if he could sign it. He was super cool, he said “sure”, pointed to where he lived and told me to stop by.

I went back home, and grabbed the picture off my office wall and drove over to his place.
He signed the picture. I told him about what that single picture meant to me back then, and how if affected a 12 year old kid. He old me about the photo, where it was, and what was going back then. For those that do not know, DP is pretty much “Punk for Life”. He still rips. I just watched him skate the Combi Pool at the Recent Pro-Tec Pool Party Contest. He is still has his band U.S. Bombs, a great blog DuanePeters.net, and Tweets like no one else.

Thanks DP for taking the time out to let a 45 yo meet one of his early influences.









No comments:

Post a Comment